|Frequently Asked Questions|
|(Click the question below to view the answer.)|
Circulation Growth & Management:
- How does Prestige Circulation Services (PCS) determine the best retailers for my magazine?
- The first step in setting up your magazine in our system is for PCS to run a competitive market analysis (CMA), which identifies titles in the marketplace having a similar demographic. With access to distribution and sales data for these titles, drilled down to the individual retailer, this valuable information gathered from the field is used to identify better-selling retailers for your magazine.
- How does billing work? Do I have to bill every wholesaler and retailer?
- PCS takes care of it all. The entire billing and collecting process is managed by us, with each issue of your magazine being billed to wholesalers and retailers at a predetermined rate, consistently.
- Am I paid for every copy that I ship?
- Magazines are generally sold on a consignment/returnable basis. This means that retailers and wholesalers only pay for the copies they actually sell and are credited for all non-sold copies.
- Are special distribution or display programs/promotions available?
- Yes. Depending on your promotional budget (as well as final retailer approval), PCS can secure special and often affordable local, regional and national programs with most chains and wholesalers.
- How do I establish a fair cover price for my magazine?
- Determine who your closest competitors are and try to price your magazine competitively, keeping packaging differences (# of pages, paper stock, binding, etc.) in mind at the same time.
- Where do I order and purchase a bipad and UPC for my cover?
- PCS will assign a bipad to your magazine at no cost, saving you the hassle and needless expense.
- Should I also distribute copies to Canada and international markets?
- Sales efficiencies are often higher outside of the U.S. market, so to help boost overall efficiency, most publishers elect to distribute copies internationally. PCS will help you determine the viability and potential profitability of international sales.
- How do I ship copies to wholesalers and/or retailers?
- Shipping instructions will be transmitted directly to your printer or shipping agent. Many large printers provide their own very affordable pool-shipping services to their publishers.
- What size distribution can I expect?
- Market demands within the subject category of your magazine, as well as any special programs and promotions you choose to participate in, together with your printing budget, will ultimately influence the size of the distribution of your magazine.
- What do I do about subscriptions?
- If you plan to sell subscriptions to your magazine, Prestige Fulfillment Services can provide you with an efficient and affordable fulfillment solution for both print and digital subscriptions.
Printing and Digital Format:
- Are there affordable methods readily available to help grow my existing circulation on a limited budget?
- For one, gift promotions to your existing subscriber database are among the easiest, fastest and cheapest ways to efficiently grow your circulation. PCS will present various proven gift promotion options which have repeatedly worked for the top-selling, million plus circulation magazines.
- Is direct mail a good option to grow my circulation?
- Direct mail is in fact an excellent pin-pointed way to grow your circulation, but should be avoided by publishers on a limited budget. PCS will professionally manage your entire direct mail campaign, from list acquisitions to merge/purge; from creative & design to printing; from mailing to analyzing.
- Should I work with subscription agents to grow my circulation?
- That depends on your budget, circulation and revenue expectations. And it's easy to make the mistake of either working with the wrong agent or unnecessarily settling on a low remit. Also, knowing which agents historically deliver the most “renewable” subscribers is of utmost importance.
- Can PCS help me get my magazine into waiting rooms at doctor's or dentist's offices, real-estate agencies, lawyer's offices, salons and spas, etc?
- Yes. This form of circulation is known as "public place" distribution. PCS knows and works with the top companies in this business, which is critical as it assures you and your advertisers of greater compliance.
- What about postal, ABC and BPA audits?
- PCS can hands-on manage the entire audit process for you. From filing initial applications to semi-annual publisher statements and the USPS required annual Statement of Ownership... it's all seamless with PCS!
- How does PCS help me secure competitive printing prices for the print version of my magazine?
- PCS has worked with all of the major as well as most of the smaller, but better-known web-offset printers in the USA and Canada. By understanding a printer's capabilities and limitations, PCS will help you select the best suited and most efficient printer for your magazine.
- I want to release a digital version of my magazine, but how exactly do I do it?
- PCS knows most of the players in the digital magazine world and will present various popular format options to you (iPAD, Android, Apple Newsstand, Amazon, etc), along with associated production and delivery costs, as well as, in most cases, discounting required by each vendor. Save yourself the hassle and expense, and avoid costly mistakes by having PCS quarterback your digital program for you.